Saturday, July 26, 2008

Tis finished

"He still had some doubts about the decision he had made. But he was able to understand one thing: making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will carry him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision."

This quote almost made me love the book. It was just very true. I hate making decisions and dealing with the unknown. But it always turns out interesting.

However, I'd like to point out and this might have to do with the translation, that this quote is very wordy. Like so much so that it seems like bad writing. My workshop would have slashed this book to bits and it would have been probably half as long. :) There were also a few places where the next thought didn't make since. Once, when the boy is thinking about the pyramids and that he'll find out more the closer he gets, his next thought is about the king and the breastplate. It doesn't really follow.

I have marked at least ten places in part two that bugged me for some reason or other. But, to be honest, I don't feel like typing out each bit and then why it bothered me.

I get why people dig this book. It encompasses all religions and spiritualities so that it won't offend anyone. God here is a general god, not necessarily the one we all pray to. At least that's how I read it.

The prose is stilted in several places and goes on and on about things that really are just not that interesting. The boy's heart and the boy talking was like reading a sermon. In fact the whole book felt like a really long sermon. And for something I didn't really agree with.

The capitalizing of Personal Legend, Tradition, Soul of the World, etc., really bugged me. And I can't really explain why except that it seemed weak. To me the point of fiction (which this is) is to tell a story and let the reader take from it what he/she will. This book beats you over the head with philosophy and doctrines. I rolled my eyes more than a few times when reading it.

I like the idea of a journey tale. I'm all for those. New places, new experiences are so much fun to read. The desert and crystal store, were interesting.

"It's in the Bible. The same book that taught me about Urim and Thummim. These stones were the only form of divination permitted by God. The priests carried them in a golden breastplate."

I googled the stones and they do appear in the Bible (with the priests in the old testament mostly) and also in the history of Joseph Smith (founder of Mormanism). I can't tell how or if they were used for divination in the Bible. Maybe Chris can enlighten us with that Bible major of his?

In general, the love at first sight with Fatima? That whole section infuriates me. That romantic love (because that's the love it's talking about) is the most important thing in the world. Yes, love, in all its forms is huge. But to look at someone and love them instantly is either extremely rare or false. "No need for words." It made me like the boy and his story even less.

Santiago never really endeared himself to me. I felt bad for him when he was beaten, but it wasn't like I expected him to end up too badly. Nothing long lastingly bad can happen to this kid. And he is still sorta full of himself. Maybe that's just me.

Good quote: "It's not what enters men's mouths that's evil," said the alchemist. "It's what comes out of their mouths that is." So true.

"And he saw that the Soul of God was his own soul. And that he, a boy, could perform miracles."

Okay, I know God, using people, can perform miracles. But does God have a soul and is it ours as well? This didn't sit right with me. Thoughts??

So your treasure is in your own back yard. Well, maybe a little more complicated that that. I'm fine that he got his treasure in the end and the girl, presumably.

I'm glad I read it. Since it is such a big deal. Now if I'm at some party and people are talking about it, I can be an informed participant.

And I realize that I approach these books differently from the rest of you. With the writing workshops and such, I see it like a writer. I hope that doesn't annoy any of you. My brain is now programmed like that.

Till Devil in the White City!!

3 comments:

sarahnoel said...

"But does God have a soul and is it ours as well?" Yeah, this pantheistic portion was a little disconcerting for me as well. But, I sort of read the boy's conversations with his heart as conversations with the Holy Spirit, so in that way we have God in us. And since we're made in the image of God, I suppose it's our immortal soul (not my blue eyes) that Genesis means.

Somehow though, I can't quite leap to my soul just being an equal extension of God's, doesn't make Him distinct and worthy enough to be God.

Which He totally is.

Chremdacasi said...

I think we all agree that we disagree with the theology of this book, but it still has some pieces we can take away.

As for the divination in the Bible, it is there, but I'll let Chris do any explaining. My knowledge is mostly general from having read through sections in the Bible several times whereas he may have had some actual teaching on it.

Chremdacasi said...

Urim and Thurrim (sp?) best as I learned are essentially dice, that were throne to "divine" God's intentions. I believe that God instructed them to be created and used (although don't quote me on that), however I'm not sure we ever see an actual instance of their use in the Bible. This would probably be very similar (if not the same) as casting lots. Which we do see in the Bible. The last instance of which was when the disciples were deciding who the 12th disciple to replace Judas would be. Presumably, (as some Bible people smarter than me have suggested) the Holy Spirit coming soon thereafter has done away with any need for any such devices. (Although to me it seems weak, since it seems to me that God could choose to speak to men before Pentacaust (Moses, Jacob, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Elijah etc. etc.) and thus I still have trouble understanding why things like casting lots and the Urim and Thurrim are in the Bible). It would be interesting to look up the passage and confirm whether this was God ordained or not. I think it was, but some part of me hopes it was not.

--Chris--