Friday, July 18, 2008

So, a week late, but...

I finished Part One (I know, you would think if I chose the book I would be more timely about reading it), but I am really liking this book so far. I agree with Emily and Sarah about the strong Christian ties with the sheep/shepherd and Otherwordly characters who direct Santiago towards his treasure. I agree with Sarah that I am still a little leery about the spiritualness of this book, since I have read one other book by Paulo Coelho and am pretty sure that he is not a Christian, but I think that all truth is God's truth, and there seems to be plenty of truth in this book.

I really like the whole thought of one's Personal Legend. This is something I believe so strongly in, and I think it is true a lot of people start out when they are young with strong dreams and desires of what they want to be and do when they get older. However, like the Baker, as you get older, things get in the way and sometimes it seems easier to do what one is accustomed to verses striking out into something unknown. However, I think God really calls us to stretch ourself out of our comfort zones and go on travels to discover who we are, who He made us to be, and what He made us to accomplish. And this takes a lot of courage to strike out into the unfamiliar and uncomfortable. Yet, at the same time, it is something that makes us the most fulfilled.

I guess I partly like Santiago because I can kind of relate to him. I have always felt like I have wanted something more in life and that is important to go out and discover our "treasures" and personal story. It is tempting at times to blame the world and think that is it against us when something bad happens (like when his money was stolen--he wept because God was unfair, and because this was the way God repaid those who believed in their dreams). It can be easy to blame God when things go wrong, but I admire that he ultimately got over that and didn't stop him from pursuing his ultimate goal.

I am a little unsure of all this omen business and the rocks, but I think it compliments the story in a way because it is supposed to be written like a fable or fairy tale, and so in fairy tales often things happen that are very ominous and represent which way the heroine/hero should go. I think that is also why this story is pretty didactic, Eden, and pretty obvious about the point it is trying to make. I really am liking it, though, and can't wait to see what the treasure is, too. I, of course, hope it involves lots of pretty jewelry, so he can go back and marry his one true love. :)

No comments: