Thursday, July 10, 2008

Jeremy Irons Can Read Me the Telephone Book

but, it was a little tricky to focus on just listening and not doing other things at the same time. And I can't go back and get quotes this way, so take what's in quotes as a near approximation of the text.

When I was looking at this book before we started reading it, I noted that one review likened this to Johnathan Livingstone Seagull, so I've been listening to it with that lens. Everything seems to be read as allegory--or maybe not allegory so much as just general spiritual advice. So far most of the aphoristic teaching seems okay, but I'm remaining leery until I've finished reading the whole thing.

Some things I like: "It's the simplest things that are the most wondrous, and only the wise understand that;" the World's greatest lie is that we lose control and think that Fate dictates our future; "Sometimes people say things so strange you don't know how to continue the conversation;" "Alway ask an objective question, but try to make your own decisions."

Some things I'm not sure of, especially the personal legend. Now I believe that God created each of us on purpose for a purpose, so there is some resonance. I like the boy's/the shepherd's thought that "If God leads the sheep, surely he'll lead a man." Seems pretty Biblical with all the sheep parallels, and the angel/king with the breastplate that gives him the two stones I think is an OT character (although I'd have to look up where, plus I don't remember Abraham giving anyone ten percent, but again, I'll have to look it up).

What I'm not so sure about though is the idea that "When you really want something, the universe conspires in your favor" and "conspires in helping you achieve it." Maybe I'm too suspicious, but that sounds a bit like The Secret (or what I know of it, haven't actually read it). Send good vibes out and good vibes will return. Now obviously one catches more flies with honey than vinegar, but I don't think that one can count on the "universe" giving you something just because you really want it.

But, I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses and what sort of spirituality is being espoused in the book and then taken up by so many readers of late--our world is desperately hungry for some Truth. Plus, I'm quite curious to know what the treasure is. I feel like it's not going to be money and then we're going to have a Merchant of Venice type problem getting the gypsy her ten percent.

No comments: