Thursday, June 5, 2008

All Right, Already.

I'm reading it. I've read it. I'm through chapter 17, and even though we're not supposed to post on that until tomorrow--I'm taking a chance (Katie, read no further if you haven't got there yet). Though I'm enjoying the book, I have no overall thesis to essay here, so forgive the randomness of the following reactions:

I feel (like I think everyone else) that the beginning was a bit slow--I mean it takes the first 2/3rds of the book for everyone to get to the farm. But then, I almost feel like things are moving too fast. I mean, Abbey and Kit have known each other two days and they're about to have sex? It's almost like Fee and co.'s expectations for their relationship is enough of a foundation for it to actually happen; I'm not sure I buy that. Plus, I wonder at Lynch having too many balls in the air--I'm intrigued to see if all of them get tied together in a convincing and clever manner, or if some of the side stories and issues are just stand alone. (Although, I really liked that Kit's mom used to be a milkmaid there; that was unexpected, unlike, the fact that Rose married Jasper, but maybe I see that as predictable because I did and if I'd guessed the other or not guessed the marriage, I'd feel differently.) I guess one of my big questions is how do we feel about Fee's premonitions and ability to read thoughts? I think Eden's going to post on this subject, so I won't say much, yet...

No comments: