Monday, February 25, 2008

I love mysteries!

I do, I love mysteries. I used to devour Nancy Drew when I was a kid and then moved on to Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes and much, much more. For the most part I prefer the classics though to a lot of the horror/thriller junk that's out there today, often so loaded with sexual junk that it feels more like those racy novels than a mystery. There are some good ones though. All this to say I am enjoying this book thus far and I have a hard time seeing how I won't enjoy the whole thing. The British language makes me work a little harder to understand everything in the book, but I love it because it feels so much more like a good old authentic mystery that way! Of course I love it all the more because of Bunter! I also really enjoy Lord Peter Wimsey's character. I like that he isn't an actual detective or anything, but presumably he will solve the mystery in the end. It's so much fun that way and makes me feel as if I too can solve this mystery!

As for my theories on the actual case, I have a few thus far. I think it's quite possible that the dead man in the tub was put there to try and make the police think it was the body of Sir Reuben Levy, possibly even by Sir Reuben himself. I think it is also quite possible that the man who got home late the night before Sir Reuben went missing, may not have been Sir Reuben at all. The fact that his habits that night were out of character leads me to believe that someone else dressed up as Sir Reuben or even sneaked in pretending to be him (no one actually saw him). I have no idea why the body was left naked in a stranger's tub or what the pince-nez mean, but I suppose the later will end up being significant or a vital clue or something. I can't wait to find out!

4 comments:

sarahnoel said...

I'm wondering if the friend that Phipps ran into isn't the mysterious appointment that Levy had the night of his disappearance. I'm banking on Levy being alive at least, if not involved.

ec said...

pince-nez are glasses or spectacles of some kind. :) i think.

Chremdacasi said...

I know what pince-nez are, I'm just saying I think they must be a significant clue somehow...

ec said...

oh, forgive me. *hides face in shame*