Friday, February 1, 2008

Better than Before

Clearly the author is misguided in including so much sexual content in her book. If she is capitalizing on Jane Austen's name and literature to attract readers, she really ought to consider the audience who like Austen's books. Somehow I don't see many people who enjoy Austen being thrilled by a book full of unromantic and even inappropriate sexual encounters. She would have been better off going for witty banter and scandalous happenings.

Despite that I enjoyed chapters 3 and 4 much better than 1 and 2. Maybe I just liked Prudie and Grigg's stories better, though I think part of it is liking Grigg's character and empathizing somewhat with Prudie. I'm not a school teacher though I've been a sub with some rowdy kids and I haven't lost my mother, though she's been quite sick a couple times, but she draws me in other ways. I feel sorry for the little Prudie who never got to experience anything fun for real as a child, yet I understand so well about sometimes pretending ending up being better than reality. I think of all the times I've blown things up with grand expectation in my head, only to be disappointed by the actual event. There have been days that I look back at and wonder, "Did that actually happen or did I dream it?" My wedding day, which all of you were present for, is one of them, not unlike Prudie's own expereince. Sad as it actually is, I love the idea that reality and fantasy blend into a beautiful, romantic childhood that allowed a little girl with nothing to experience everything. Still, her mother definitely cheated her little girl and took fantasy beyond the limits where it belongs.

As for Grigg, how can you not love his character even more now?! Despite him being babied, I love his three sisters who clearly were better parents than his own. I love that he loves science fiction and Austen and is tasteful (cute little house and appetizers he serves), yet still a guy and that his favorite Jane Austen is Nothanger Abbey, and that he's actually read Udolpho! (Which, by the way I think we all ought to read for the fun of it!) In short, if this guy were real I think he'd be perfect for Sarah.

I'm actually eagerly anticipating seeing where the story goes (I honestly can't remember very much) in the last two chapters. I'm tempted to read them now, but considering I'm writing this post a day early (I'll save it and wait to post until Friday), I figure I should at least give others the courtesy of posting and predicting so I can add my two cents worth before diving into the end and finding out the answers to all of our questions.

Oh and my favorite quote has to be the one in chapter 3 when Prudie says she felt she could watch the kids for suicide and drugs and the like, but that asking her to teach them French on top of that was really too much!

2 comments:

sarahnoel said...

Hmm, I think personality wise I need someone a little more alpha than Grigg, but interest wise he does seem to have it going on.

I definitely felt more connected to Prudie, but that's probably just the age and profession. I guess I can see your point about the positive magic of infusing real life with fantasy, but her mom seemed monstrous to me.

sarahnoel said...

Also, I'd love to read The Mystery of Udolpho I knew some one who actually had read and she said it was great fun!