Friday, April 4, 2008

To begin at the beginning

I guess I'll be first. I didn't reread The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe or see it (don't actually have the film), but I'm pretty sure I know it well enough for any discussion.

But the first five chapters of Prince Caspian were great. I'd forgotten just how much I do like these books. In fact I read all the way through chapter eight because I was enjoying myself so much. But I will stick to 1-5.

I like the grab into Narnia at the train station. That scene is so very vivid in my mind from when I first read it. I've watched the trailer of the film and it looks just right. :)

I like the whole story within a story. I wonder if they'll do that for the movie. You almost forget that Trumpkin is telling the story of Prince Caspian once you're into it.

Something I noticed (the effects of this program no doubt) is that older children's books don't focus as much on internal struggle and character development as modern books do. There is no confusing the characters or anything, but there very little in depth character study. It's not a complaint, because these books are great, just an observation.

Does anyone think black dwarves vs. red dwarves is a little stereotypical? Maybe it wasn't then, but I find my racial awareness being offended by that.

I'm enjoying myself, Chris, thanks!

2 comments:

shoppergrl said...

I'm enjoying this book a lot, too. It's been so long since I've read it last that I find myself trying to figure out what will happen still. I've read past chapter 5 as well, but won't comment further! As to the whole black dwarf/red dwarf thing, I don't think that is being stereotpyical because those are actually types of stars. Black dwarf stars are when a white dwarf star has died, and I think a red dwarf star is in-between when it is dying. (Correct me if I'm wrong fellow astronomy-class people.) So, I think that is where he is getting the terms, but maybe I am wrong.

Chremdacasi said...

I agree with Katie (I also took Astronomy with her) about the star thing, especially since through out the entire series, Lewis writes the stars as real people of sorts. i also think that it is just a simple way of showing good/bad in a simple way that children can grasp.

~~Emily~~