Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Prince Caspian: Part 1

That was an enjoyable read. A lot of setting the table though, so not too much to comment upon. I find it interesting the couple of comments that in my mind said, go buy the first book. i.e. such and such happened in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I'm probably too cynical, probably more meant if people were confused and needed background info. right? I wonder how often people end up accidentally in the middle of a series anyway? Is it often that someone grabs what turns out to be the third book in a series by accident (or intentionally?)...

Anyway, back to Prince Caspian, can I just say I love Lewis' intro. to the dwarf telling the story of Prince Caspian. His lines about the fact that this wasn't exactly how the story was told, the children obviously interrupted and asked questions along the way and some pieces were filled in later.

I have to say, I don't see anything racial at all about red and black dwarfs. Who would the red dwarfs be anyway? Seeing as Lewis is British, I'm guessing not Native Americans. I think the use of colors to differentiate bad guys and good guys is merely an easy way for us to tell them apart. Call me naive, but even is genres like Westerns with the black hat/white hat differentiation I don't see that as being racial. If anything I think it points further back to biblical/religious models of the battle between the light/good and darkness/evil. Just my two cents.

No comments: