Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Love, Love, Loved It

Er, I thought I'd posted on the end of this, but apparently not--I was still in draft mode. Well, a few quotes and thoughts from the end.

"Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be" (231). Oh so true--or becoming the identity that others consign to you.

"'So the whole war is because we can't talk to each other.' 'If the other fellow can't tell you his story, you can never be sure he isn't trying to kill you'" (253). I love the emphasis on stories; God just wired us to relate to narratives, and this just under girds the idea that it is essential to listen to and seek out stories that are different than our own.

"Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it" (277). Maybe true, but rather bleak. I'd like to think that this is not how a Christian should live--survival is not really an essential for us.

"I'm going because I know the buggers better than any other living soul, and maybe if I go there I can understand them better. I stole their future from them; I can only begin to repay by seeing what I can learn from their past" (314). How on earth are amends made for genocide? I do love the idea that Ender is heading the Truth and Reconciliation committee though...

No comments: