Friday, August 15, 2008

Why does Holmes' hotel remind me of the one in Angel?

Sorry that this is a whole week late. Just finished part one. Whew.

I really do like this book, it's just super hard for me to stay in it. I'm not used to reading any nonfiction and even though this is written more novel-like, there is still a serious lack of dialogue to break up very long paragraphs. That seems awfully juvenile of me, but visually it's easier to take in. Too much children's books, i suppose.

I find it funny or strange that Sarah pointed out the same thing I marked in my book. The exact same quote about the skeleton. I just wanted to say, 'well, how the hell do you know that?' to Mr. Larson. I mean, sure, he's writing it all down, but where does he get that idea? No reason for it to be any different than Holmes' word. Not that he's to be trusted.

Wow, is he spooky or what? I mean, just creeeeeepy. Makes me terribly nervous when I read his chapter/sections. But at the same time, I'm intrigued. I want to slap all those women for trusting him. A guy too smooth for his own good? Never, ever trust them. EVER! Sorry, those women are just idiots on some level. Maybe people were less wary back then. And the thing with animals and babies not being put off by him. My theory is that he never meant harm to the animals or babies, so they couldn't sense his weirdness.

Burnham is definitely interesting. I find myself drifting a bit in his chapters, but I think Larson does a great, great job of making everything so urgent. Like the whole bit with the eastern architects and olmstead and all the waiting. I just wanted to scream, 'make a decision already you silly people!'

There are some great quotes in this so far, though.

"enough so that each year Burnham bought a barrel of fine Madeira and aged it by shipping it twice around the world on slow freighters." (40) Now that's wealth!

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood." (41) Gives me good chills every time I read it.

"Chicago is like the man who marries a woman with a ready-made family of twelve," he said. "The trouble is just begun" (49) Made me laugh.

My heart was sad about Root. I liked their friendship. I can't imagine how much that must have hurt Burnham. Definitely a good cliffhanger to end part one on.

I realize this is unlike my other reviews as I can't seem to comment on the actual writing. Maybe it's my lack of nonfiction knowledge. Whatever it is, the writing isn't bugging me. Other than the fact that it's pretty dense.

On to the next bit.

3 comments:

Chremdacasi said...

I think the thing we need to remember is that this is non-fiction (in fiction its always easy to see the signs because they are always played up in a big way). I'm not sure its really a matter of people being that naive. Its more that certain people can be that deceptive. Sure some will be more easily duped than others, but hindsight is 20/20 as they say. It may be easy to look back and see the signs, but unless you go around suspecting everyone of murderous intentions, then there a lot of times is no way to see it coming before hand. Family and friends of all of the crazies out there almost always say "and what a nice boy he was." Its impossible to function in a world where we suspect all the nice boys. All of this to say....I'm not sure these women were truly "idiots". Perhaps they are just your average woman caught in a senseless, invisible trap.

Chremdacasi said...

Also, I'm curious to hear from you gals how reading this sort of thing affects you (if at all)? Are you able to distance yourself from it, and imagine that something could not happen like this to you for one reason or another, or does it leave you feeling vulnerable or anything? I'm already fairly paranoid as it is, but this sort of thing focuses it a bit more I think.

ec said...

Maybe 'idiots' was a bit strong. It just infuriates me that they were so easily duped. To me that's offensive. making us women the weaker sex. i know this book is not a commentary on gender roles or whatever, but i think that's why i made such a big deal about it.

um, i'm not too affected yet about holmes. although i wonder whether or not i would have been one of them. i tend to trust easily and maybe that's why i'm so angry at these women.

too much psychoanalysis for me!